Friday, February 13, 2009

On Valentine's Day...

...I must air my grievances. (Warning: This is a bitter one and I realize it, but I had to let it out somewhere and I felt this was as good a place as any)

Since when did I become "one of the guys" and how did it happen? It certainly is not something I conciously encouraged, but it happened nonetheless.

Since when is it okay to make fart jokes and criticize girls in general or drool over a girl in front of another girl? I guess you wouldn't think anything of it if you thought of the girl who is in your presence as one of the guys. Then when someone does call you out on your comments that are inappropriate for mixed company you shove your foot in your mouth by saying "I forgot there was a girl here." Just keep on digging that hole, buddy.

Also, whatever happened to defending a lady's honor? And sticking by your defense instead of turning on her when she talks to you about it? Whatever happened to speaking to a girl like she's a lady regardless of her/your beliefs--especially if you just barely met her?

How about not telling a guy, in front of a girl he's been flirting with all night, that he should date another girl?! I understand that you might not see her as dating material for you, but she'd really like it if you wouldn't sabotage her chances with other guys. (This is a moot point in this particular instance because Flirty McFlirtster has turned out to be quite the space case. Which brings up another thing---sometimes I would like to stamp on my forehead, or wear a sign around my neck that says "don't flirt with me unless you're genuinely interested." I really do).

How about giving a sincere and genuine compliment or "thank you" instead of always being sarcastic and patronizing then following it up with a "JK" to try and smooth things over?

Oh, yeah and since when is it ok for a guy who claims to be LDS to write an LDS girl an e-mail(this is first contact, mind you) that simply says "so, when are we gonna get together and make out?" Ugh! How about Never!

So, as you can see, these grievances are not simply about being single on Valentine's Day, but also lamenting the lack of good, decent men who know how to treat a young woman like a woman.

And to top off my week of man-frustration I must go to a bridal shower. On Valentine's Day. And pretend to be happy that some other girl is taking one of the few good ones left off the market. I know she probably thinks it's romantic or cute or something, but to me it feels like she's rubbing all our noses in it.

2 comments:

  1. Amen! Well said!

    Gentlemen need to come back to this generation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true there are a lot of idiots among men. And so many good women the odds are most definitely unfair. I've been struck by this disparity so many times while sitting in my many single ward Relief Society meetings.

    ReplyDelete