Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Tricksy

I think my smoke detectors are playing tricks on me.

Monday night the one in my bedroom started chirping in the wee hours of the morning waking me from a sound sleep. I tried to go back to sleep, but the intermittent chirping kept waking me up. (I was extra irritated that this happened because I just checked them all and put new batteries in them a couple of months ago.)

I got out of bed and tried to find a package of earplugs that I swear exists in my home somewhere--but with no luck. Finally, I decided to take refuge on the living room couch. In there, with the bedroom door closed, it was a little quieter. And soon after I was settled on the couch it stopped altogether. I was tempted to go back to my bed, but for some reason I thought that if I went back in there the chirping would start again--as if the smoke detector could also detect my presence in the room.

I stayed on the couch all night and the smoke detector stayed quiet. In fact, I haven't heard a peep out of it since. Let's hope it stays that way for a good lon time.

No comments:

Post a Comment