Saturday, October 3, 2009

Challenge accepted

Ok, so I know I'm accepting this challenge a couple of days late, but better late than never, right?

In honor of, and to get into the proper spirit of, Halloween, I began the month of October by reading a story by one of the most wonderfully creepy authors I know, Edgar Allan Poe--and I just might make that a tradition.

Instead of reading one of Poe's popular and widely read pieces, I chose one that I'd never heard of before--and was pleasantly surprised by a delightfully satirical story which appeals to the morbid sense of humor. To give you just a little taste, here is an excerpt from Poe's short story "Never Bet the Devil your Head" that I found particularly amusing. To give a little background, the main character has just finished lecturing his friend, Toby Dammit, about the dangers of his careless use of the phrase "I'll bet the devil my head".


"Finally, setting his arks a-kimbo, he condescended to reply.
I can call to mind only the heads of his discourse. He would be obliged to me if I would hold my tongue. He wished none of my advice. He despised all my insinuations. He was old enough to take care of himself. Did I still think him baby Dammit? Did I mean to say anything against his character? Did I intend to insult him? Was I a fool? Was my maternal parent aware, in a word, of my absence from the domiciliary residence? He would put this latter question to me as a man of veracity, and he would bind himself to abide by my reply. Once more he would demand explicitly if my mother knew that I was out. My confusion, he said, betrayed me, and he would be willing to bet the Devil his head that she did not.
Mr. Dammit did not pause for my rejoinder. Turning upon his heel, he left my presence with undignified precipitation. It was very well for him that he did so. My feelings had been wounded. Even my anger had been aroused. For once I would have taken him up upon his insulting wager. I would have won for the Arch-Enemy Mr. Dammit's little head--for the fact is, my mamma was very well aware of my merely temporary absence from home."


Maybe I'm a big literature nerd, but I thought that was SO funny! It takes a minute to get used to the archaic language, but it's worth a read.

What's your favorite Poe story or poem?

No comments:

Post a Comment