Saturday, October 10, 2009

The But Clause

it's never a good thing is it? and nobody ever likes to hear "the but clause," do they?

Last night my roommate had a second date with a guy she was first set up with about 2 weeks ago. After the first date she told me he was nice and good company but she didn't feel any attraction or connection. So when she got home last night I asked if she liked him any better after a second date. Her response was the same. So then we started talking about how you let a guy know that you don't want to go out with him anymore. Do you keep avoiding and making excuses until he gets the hint? or do you tell him straightforward that you don't want to go out again?

I'm pretty sure I've heard multiple guys say they prefer the straightforward approach--but this is hard especially when you avoid confrontation like my roommate and I do. So I offer to practice with her and we start coming up with the exact wording she can say if this guy calls to ask her out again. Basically we came up with something to the effect of "I really enjoy your company, but I'm just not feeling it." This is where my roommate says, "I'm fine saying the first part, it's the second part I don't like." To which I respond "yeah, nobody likes the but clause," and she says "no. the but clause is never good."

And then we laughed and laughed...

1 comment: